Sunday, December 04, 2022

News and Reviews 2022

We are now in year 17, (a nice respectable prime number) and I stand by my statement from 6 years ago... "it seems both impossible and inadvisable to have gone so far down the rabbit-hole." This blog began in April of 2005. As of this date, that works out to more than 3,375 posts, a decade-and-a-half in the making. Clearly I still have too much free time. I did a radio show on WLOY, and I even managed to get published this year on old school newsprint aka dead-tree media, with thanks to The Slingshot Collective

 
Links to all 17 years of News & Reviews:

2020 2019 2018 2017
2016 2015  2014 2013
2012 2011 2010 2009
2008 2007 2006 2005


Best Posts:
I started off 2022 with a dive in to an old WECS radio schedule, and some antique radio repair. Then the tale of an illegal satellite launch and a quick piece on the Glaskarten archive. It wasn't a very productive year blog-wise but I still found time for deep dives into both Herman Darewski and Jack Ruby of all people.

 
Most Popular Posts:
My most popular posts haven't changed in years.  Since 2009 the most traffic has gone to a post about Peter Tripp.  This is what I call the post that Reddit built. It remains an aberration in my web-traffic with 96k+ hits. I did eventually collate a list of all Radio Wake-a-thon records here. My 2007 post on the Career Academy of Famous Broadcasters continues to get comments from it's legion of former students. It remains a top hit on Google. In 2022 My most popular post was the one-sentence post referring to my Quarantine Takeover show on WLOY. That probably has more to do with WLOY than myself but it's good motivation to do it again.


Best Zine
With thanks to Slingshot I got to read a lot of zines while under quarantine. The best hands-down was Dynamite Hemorrhage. I want to read every back issue, I a subscription. Jay Hinman contributes to the punk cannon in the same way that Koenig and Coley did back in the 1980s. Their original writings on commerce and art rock remain the foundation of the last 40 years of punk and indie rock music criticism.

Best Radio Show:
I'm still hooked on The Primitive Show on WVKR. I keep trying to make contact for an interview but no luck so far. On that topic I saw that Chimurenga also is now running a radio program and I'd really like to chat with them about it. Maybe I need a section on most-wanted stories.

 

Top 10 Records of 2022
Usually my top 10 is comprised of full-length albums, and is format agnostic. The definition of "full-length" is totally at my discretion as to number of tracks, or album length in minutes. But generally EPs, Singles, Re-releases, and demos get sifted down the the notable list. Aside from all that preface, our obvious descent into dystopian collapse has made for a great year in music.

  1. Chat Pile - Gods Country
  2. Pile - All Fiction
  3. Society - Pollution
  4. Gospel - The Loser
  5. Cronies - Slow Wrist Grave Shift
  6. Wire - Stepping off too quick
  7. Idiot Child - Idiot Child
  8.  Ken mode - Null
  9. Nerver - CASH
  10. Crowd of Chairs - Defluencer

 

Notable mentions: Ashenspire - Hostile Architecture, Weeping Hour - Drone (single),  Negative Capability - Negative Capability, Gilla Band - Most Normal, Chatpile - Tenkiller Soundtrack, Human Impact - Imperative (single),  Sppn - Lucifer on the Sofa, Russian Circles - Gnosis, Pyrithe - Monuments to Impermanence, Black Magnet - Body Prophecy, Melvins Bad Mood Rising (single),

1 comment:

  1. I saw there is no archive of your show from earlier this year on WLOY, so I ask you, is there a way I could listen to that show? Perhaps you have a digital copy I could get?
    Thank you.....

    ReplyDelete