Tuesday, April 26, 2011

Transcription Mystery Disc #119

This is an 8-Inch 78 rpm Wilcox-Gay Recordio. At some point I'll have to make a labelography of these as well. Phonozoic did a nice job, but like most thinks that are free, it's incomplete. This one has no date, no artist and has an outer edge start. Speaking of Phonozoic, he refers to this species of disc as Wilcox-Gay Recordio Type 5B, black lacquer. His sole date is 1951, I have also seen 1949, 1950 and 1952 so that puts a reasonable bracket on the age. But there it ends, It's an instrumental piano piece and it vaguely resembles the Irish Wedding dance but also the Mexican Hat dance. I'm stumped this week.

4 comments:

  1. resembles the jig garyowen

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is "The Irish Washerwoman" I believe.

    ReplyDelete
  3. pretty similar to the versions I hear online.. it could be!

    ReplyDelete
  4. tried more versions.. you are right. good ears!

    ReplyDelete