Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Tower Climbing Video

This video has been forwarded to me so many times it's bordering on a meme. It is the property of the Online Engineer.org and This link works at the moment but I doubt it will last long.  It portrays the complete tower climb for a technician on a 1768 foot transmission tower.  I've free-climbed many times. But never even to half that height.  The original is on their site here. I do recommend you pay them a visit.

WARNING: They shot this footage with a vertigo-inducing POV helmet cam. It is not for the faint of heart.


I should point out that this is an exceedingly tall tower. The tallest tower in the world is only 2,063 feet tall, the KVLY-TV mast in Blanchard North Dakota. Salem's 94.5 KSOC and 100.7 KWRD share another 1999-foot tower in Gainesville, T.  93.7 KNOR in Krum, TX also tops 2,000 feet. In short, there isnt' a lot up in that 1,700 foot + range.

No comments:

Post a Comment