Tuesday, November 20, 2012

Transcription Mystery Disc #145

This is one of the best discs I've ever found. It's a 10-inch 78 rpm acetate recording, with an outer edge start. It's in nice shape, and recorded very competently with a good signal-to-noise ratio. the bit of surface noise now barely detracts. The recording is of a truly amazing musician(s) A man is singing in a language I don't recognize over truly masterfully fast fiddling. It reminds me of some Banat, Raga and Sarangi music I've heard. The text on the label looks a bit like Greek, but what the hell do I know?

Frank Eulau,  02/17/1955

At first the playing was so fast I thought I had incorrectly adjusted the speed, but the vocals sounds dead on... so it must be right. The recording is dated clearly to 02-17-55,  and in big block letters on the hand cut label is the "brand" Frank L. Eulau. There is a notion lower as to the name of the engineer but I can't read whatever language it is in. It also describes itself as a "tru-tone record" so that may be the brand of blank below the label. There is a further detail here. The disc is labeled "5" on one side and "6" on the other... indicating at least 2 more discs by this genius. I have in fact three more, with the same recording date discs 1/2 and 3/4. But I also have one recorded in 1954, with the same make. I can only hope they are all as good.