Tuesday, July 17, 2007

AIRCHECK WEEK: Jim Randolph

"Big" Jim L. Randolph rose to fame in the 1950s and became an Los Angeles staple by the sixties. There are precious few airchecks of the man but they are worth finding.

He helped break the careers of R&B artists like Booker T & The MG, Larry Bright, and KoKo Taylor.He was the first African-American to attend the Oklahoma University School of Communications. He was a program director at KSAN in San Francisco, CA; and KLIF in Dallas, TX where he was also rated a Top 5 Lone star state DJ in October 1955. By 1969 he was booking talent for the Watts Summer festivals.

This clip is from KGFJ, in Los Angeles but he was also on WYNR, in Chicago, IL;  WERD in Atlanta others. More here. There was a "Big" Jim Randolph at KNOK in 1956, but I can't verify it's the same gentleman. An issue of Radio Daily-Television Daily lists him as replacing Dean McNeil in April of 1957, but gives the calls incorrectly as KNOX in  Dallas confusing the trail.

His obituary in Record World was brief and understated.

Jim Randolph, noted broadcasting executive, died Sunday, May 3, at his home in Los Angeles. Program Director of KGFJ (LA) and for the Tracey Broadcasting chain at the time of his death, Randolph had enjoyed success in several major markets as both air personality and executive. He achieved notable success in the Dallas, Fort Worth, Chicago and Los Angeles markets. A native of Oklahoma, "Big Jim" attended Morehouse College and the University of Oklahoma. Most recently he had guided KGFJ from "also-ran" to one of the four or five most important facilities in the Southern California market areas. Randolph is survived by his wife, Lillian, their six children, all of who reside in Los Angeles, and by his parents who live in Oklahoma City.

KGFJ was very progressive for it's day having an integrated staff. Their staff included other legends like Magnificent Montague, Johnny Magnus, Herman Griffith, Jim Wood, and Hunter Hancock. He died of a heart attack in 1970 at the age of 39.



 ***AUDIO EXPIRED***

*POST UPDATED 5/9/2020
*Anyone want to share a Jim Randolph aircheck?

10 comments:

  1. Sad to say, Big Jim Randolp is no longer with it. He was one of the best broadcasters in the business.

    Dr. Don Sainte-Johnn
    V101.1
    Sacramento

    ReplyDelete
  2. One of the greatest from WYNR and KGFJ...loved Jim Randolph when I was a young lad..


    Paul Major

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jim Randolph had a great approach to R and B radio. I remember him from WYNR Chicago.....very original. Inspired me as a former jock and station owner.

    ReplyDelete
  4. As a kid in the early 60's I listened to Big Jim on KSAN in San Francisco. A friend of my dad's knew my interest in radio and introduced me to Jim.In the early 70's I programed KNOK in Dallas and had the pleasure of telling Jim was I was following in his market trail.In the first part of this decade I worked at a big band station and met the guy who hired Jim for KLIF here in Dallas and he told me many stories of Jim early days. Jim once said there were only two kinds of radio, good and bad and to always do good radio.

    Jack Bishop Station Manager KMNY Dallas Texas

    ReplyDelete
  5. Jim Randolph was like a father to me. I joined the KGFJ "team" shortly after my 17th birthday, September 1968. Jim (protected me & gave me wisdom to navigate my way through the business)...he passed late 69 / early 1970...I couldn't bring myself to go to services...but I cried many days graveside. Working at the station was never the same. I loved him...still do.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Jim Randolph was like a father to me. I joined the KGFJ "team" shortly after my 17th birthday, September 1968. Jim (protected me & gave me wisdom to navigate my way through the business)...he passed late 69 / early 1970...I couldn't bring myself to go to services...but I cried many days graveside. Working at the station was never the same. I loved him...still do.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Jim Randolph hired me in 1967 to replace Magnificent Montague, and he put me up against Wolfman Jack 9-midnight. I was known as Soulfinger. I went on to program WGIV in Charlotte NC for him in 1968. After Jim died of a heart attack in 1970 I became the assistant PD under Larry McCormick, eventually becoming PD 1971. Jim knew more radio than anyone I have encountered over my 50 plus years in Los Angeles radio. I still miss him.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anonymous1:09 PM

      That comment was me ROLAND BYNUM naw at KJLH

      Delete
  8. Soulfinger! the honorable Mr. Roland Bynum? If you are up for an interview please let me know.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Does anyone have a Jim Randolph aircheck they're willing to share? I'd like to post it. There is no audio online, which is a shame.

    ReplyDelete