Tuesday, August 12, 2014

Transcription Mystery Disc #226

This is yet another 8-Inch, metal-core Duodisc that spins at 78 RPM. This one in particular has a nice sound, good levels and low noise. It's an instrumental, and unlabeled so for me there is no hope of identification. But like the others I assume it's from 560 WFIL-AM in Philadelphia. I've seen dates on this type of acetate blank from 1948 to 1954. It's a broad range.

Lap Steel Instrumental


It's got some serious lap steel playing, some more competent accordion and some acoustic guitar. This is clearly a practiced trio.. possibly even an accomplished one.The steel player isn't Curly Chalker, but he's very good.  You can hear voices intermittently shout, even clap but nothing clear, no station ID nothing Googleable. But the song sticks with me, there are a couple guitar licks that sound familiar... so maybe there is hope among my audiophile readers.

2 comments:

  1. Anonymous10:43 AM

    I can't say it is but it sounds a lot like Pee Wee King's Golden West Cowboys.

    Scott Carpenter
    WDVX Swing Set

    ReplyDelete
  2. You can catch Scott's show Sundays on WDVX 4-5 p.m.

    http://www.wdvx.com

    ReplyDelete