Tuesday, July 29, 2014

Transcription Mystery Disc #224

This is an 8-inch, metal-core duo disc. As is frustratingly often the case, it is totally unlabeled: no names, no numbers no notes. We are left with only the audio recording to render any kind of guess as to it's origin. The first side I ripped has two tracks. The first was a high-speed, twangy polka instrumental.. no hope of identifying that... unless one of my readers is a serious polka enthusiast.

I'd Trade All Of My Polkas


But the second track is the song "I'd Trade All Of My Tomorrows."  that song I know. It was famously covered by Merle Haggard in 1965 but it had already been covered by Slim Whitman, Johnny Cash, Kris Kristofferson, Narvel felts, Marty Robinson, and Willie Nelson. It was a big hit for Eddy Arnold back in 1952. But he didn't write it either. Elton Britt and the Skytoppers first recorded that tune in 1947 for RCA Victor. I have not confirmed but I believe that he was it's author.

Elton's version was a real spare cowboy song.. with a bit of needless clarinet. For what it's worth Britt was on WWVA, WATV, WCOP and the Louisiana Hayride on KWKH. But this version is not his, nor is it Johnny Cash, Merle, Narvel, Marty, or Willie. This is yet another unknown country singer. But I'd date this acetate to about 1952 because of the huge popularity of the Eddy Arnold version.

No comments:

Post a Comment