Tuesday, May 27, 2014

Transcription Mystery Disc #215

This week I ripped the other side of the one from last week since it was so damn interesting. The B-side is unexpected to say the least. It's an old gospel song "What A Friend We Have In Mother."  What's odd is that it's the same tune (more or less) as "What A Friend We Have In Jesus,"  which is the version we're all more familiar with. the lyrics are very different obviously but the melody is unmistakable.

But  "What A Friend We Have In Mother." has been covered by many artists: Wilf Carter, the Louvin Brothers, The Peerless Quartet, the Virginia Mountain Boys. The covers of a the Jesus-version are to numerous to mention. The lyrics to the song were written by Joseph M. Scriven as a poem in 1855.  the music was written more than a decade later by Charles Crozat Converse.

What a Friend We Have In Mother

The Mother version dates to at last 1924. Interestingly it's credited on the Victor website to Charles E. Rote. [Source] Now while the Mihalia Jackson version is a totally different song than the Louvin brothers take... it's quite clear that Mr. Rote ripped off Converse and Scriven. While that might have flown in 1924... I know some record labels that would have eaten him alive today. 

Trying a new audio player today.. not working so well.

what a friend we have in mother

9 comments:

  1. I think I know why your player is not working, because I had made the same mistake the first time I used it..

    You have copy the long link from dropbox,.. in other words don't select the option to shorten link, it won't work.

    Use the long link and it works perfect

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have a "get link" option... nothing about shortening.
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/otjefolruy2kort/what%20a%20friend%20we%20have%20in%20mother.mp3

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your links format is incorrect.. it should begin like https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com

    Ok..
    Do it exactly like this..

    When in your Dropbox
    1. RIGHT CLICK on the mp3 file you want to use.

    2. a list will drop down, select "copy public link".

    3.next click the "copy to clipboard" button

    4. paste it into the boomp3 box,.. and you know what to do from there.

    Really it works every single time for me perfectly with out any difficulty.
    Try it exactly like I outlined above and it will work

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'll try again tuesday!

    ReplyDelete
  5. it gives me a link like this: https://dl-web.dropbox.com/get/transcriptions/WCAU%20and%20WGAR/WCAU_WGAR.mp3?_subject_uid=62285914&w=AAAlYU8HLgwC5QoEMXTNYLNtrR3jq05_1GEz18rsQEiD3w

    which then fails

    ReplyDelete
  6. FYI dropbox got rid of public links in like 2012. However stack exchange posts a possible solution: http://webapps.stackexchange.com/questions/31215/using-dropbox-can-i-create-a-public-link-from-a-shared-folder

    ReplyDelete
  7. Well I noticed you had it working on mystery disc 216.. so I shot over here and just now saw your other comment..

    I'm glad you got it working, but as for "dropbox got rid of public links in like 2012" -- I haven't a clue what you're talking about! I used it for the first time ever about a week or so ago, and have used it another 4 or 5 times since. and it's worked for me every time without having to do anything other than paste in the link.

    I'm dumbfounded as to why it works without a hitch for me, and not for you.

    But anyway, it doesn't matter - as long as you got it working however it was you had to do it!

    By the way mystery disc 219 sounds awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great looking label.

    ReplyDelete