Tuesday, February 11, 2014

Transcription Mystery Disc #202

This is a metal-core, bright red Wilcox-Gay transcription disc. It spins at 78 rpm and is in pretty nice shape. It is a live radio recording and that makes this acetate also a transcription disc. Phonozoic calls this a "Wilcox-Gay Recordio Type 4A, red lacquer. It's wholly unlabeled of course. I believe it is another recording from that batch that may have originated with WFIL-AM.

Teardrops in my Heart

The recording is of a man singing accompanied by country slide guitar. His singing sounds rushed, uncertain slightly flat at times like he knows there's a station break coming up. At the end of the recording the announcer comes on.The song is "Teardrops in my Heart" which was performed by all everyone in country music: hank Snow, Marty Robbins, Jim Reeves, Freddy Fender.. even Ray Charles covered it. I think it was originally done by the Sons of the Pioneers... in 1948.

2 comments:

  1. Wayne in AL12:31 AM

    Over a decade ago, when I was living in Atlanta, I found an antiques store that had old NBC radio transcription discs...because they were 16", I didn't buy them. It was in a store along Chamblee, GA's Antique Row, behind a bunch of car dealerships.

    ReplyDelete
  2. AWESOME!
    Those can sometimes be hard to find today for exactly that reason.

    ReplyDelete