Tuesday, February 04, 2014

Transcription Mystery Disc #201

Good gravy I've got a lot of these. Good thing I sold off a few. A gentleman at WMKV actually bought one of my stacks which is a pleasure and an honor. This week's disc is a nice metal-core 12-Inch from NOLA Recording Studios. Under the NOLA label it clearly reads Audiodisc. I have a few of these and they are all de-laminating form the outer edge a bit but none have lost audio data to that process yet.

 Gown of Lace


The recording is of a woman singing with piano accompaniment. The style is dated even for the 1940s so I'm thinking these didn't make any kind of commercial release. High falsetto operatic vocals with a lot of vibrato, paired with parlor room piano. It's a throw back to the 1930s.

NOLA Studios was not in New Orleans. It was at 1657 Broadway in New York City. The y operated from around 1942 through the early 1960s. FYI: that's also the same address as WMCA-AM after the station relocated in 1938. NOLA had another space on 57th street called Steinway Hill. The label has the song titles listed but not the artist. The songs are "Gown of Lace", and "Ain't Cha Don't Like Me." I'm not at all familiar with the song. Without the artist listed I'm going to take an educated guess and date it to the early-mid 1940s.

No comments:

Post a Comment