Wednesday, January 22, 2014

Transcription Mystery Disc #200

For my 200th rip I am ripping one from my stash of H.O.W.A.R.D. acetates. The first acetate I ever ripped was a HOWARD disc and I lost it years ago. It came in a lot of 78s and honestly I didn't know what to make of it at first. But it was what began my research and furthered my peculiar hobby.  I remember that disc as being 6.5 inches and metal core. This one has a paper core and is 8 inches in diameter. Sadly that first one was in nicer shape than these. The disc is labeled. "Paper Wall, Lay that Pistol Down."  These are the titles of the two songs on the disc. I only included the second one because it's fidelity is far superior to the other.

Lay That Pistol Down



The recording is of a man singing acapella. Around :30 a man in the background says something and he scats a bit losing a verse of Pistol Packing Mama. Willie Nelson did a memorable version but the original was by Al Dexter. the version we know was it's first cover by the Bing Crosby with the Andrews Sisters in 1939, two years later. Clearly we can date this disc to after 1939... but paper core discs became more common around 5 years later than that which is a bit of a discrepancy.

No comments:

Post a Comment