Tuesday, August 06, 2013

Transcription Mystery Disc #177

This is another nearly destroyed disc I acquired in that lot of transcription losers. This one is a Recordisc and has an outer edge start and spins at 78rpm. Obviously it has a metal core. It is labeled "A Gay Ranchero, King's Men, 10/28/41. But the labeling has nothing to do with the recoverable contents.

We know the date of the recording but only the innermost rings are playable, so most of the audio is forever lost. "A Gay Ranchero" was a film in 1948... six years after this was recorded. There was also a lesser known Spanish film of the same title in 1941. [Source] Neither of those relate whatsoever to the contents of the disc.

The recording is of the Fibber and Molly McGee program. [Source] the program is so well documented that I was able to search by dialog.
COP: I'M NOT AN ARMY MAN. I'm a police lieutenant.
FIBBER: Oh rejected, eh? Well, we can't all be --
MOLLY: McGEE BE QUIET. What did you say the plan was, officer?
COP: I'll stand right here, behind the book case, near the door. If that gangster comes back...you maneuver so that his back is toward me.
FIBBER: GOOD IDEA! SHOOT HIM IN THE BACK! MUCH THE SAFEST WAY BECAUSE --
COP: I'm not going to shoot him. I'm going to slip the handcuffs on him
FIBBER: Oh.
The program "Fibber Meets a Racketeer"  aired on NBC Tuesday 10/28/41 Tat 5:30 PM matching the date on the disc perfectly... if not the rest of the labeling. The Gay Ranchero may have serenaded us on the destroyed portion of the disc. 

No comments:

Post a Comment