Thursday, April 04, 2013

Better Than Radio



1. Get one of these: Roku 
2. Go here: Amazon

I found out today that Amazon made a Roku channel just to stream my Amazon cloud into my home theater system. Hot damn! So many Gigabytes of greatness. The Roku blog tells me that actually this came out in December so I'm behind the curve. I have been remiss.

But in all seriousness this is what radio is competing with. The cloud increasingly is connected to my stereo, my cell phone, my PC, my laptop, my TV and truly the car remains radio's last battle ground. But there are already Bluetooth solutions that bridge that gap. How long will that island remain separate from the other media platforms?

2 comments:

  1. yeah, but where's the mystery? That collection maybe be so large that you forgot you had it, but has likely been pruned and managed to the point that there's no way what you hear is something you chose to hear. Radio's ace in the hole is to bring you something totally unexpected. That experience is available online, but I find the most interesting examples to be in a form of live streams that are frequently simulcasts of actual radio stations. So, again, it goes back to radio.

    I think streaming is going to have to get a lot more ubiquitous- and local- before it edges radio out entirely.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can listen to those on my Roku too!

    ReplyDelete