Tuesday, June 26, 2012

Transcription Mystery Disc #130

I picked this 12-inch metal-core acetate disc up at a thrift store in Englewood, Florida; but as we all know that doesn't mean it originated there. The recording is in French, which presents a problem. I don't understand French at all. The disc is in decent shape, a little dirty, some scratches a little warped... all par for the course. It spins at 78 rpm and has an outer edge start. But the speed sounds a little off, a little too far into the chipmunk range. I suspect the recording speed was off a tad. The blank is a red Duodisc Type 2 if you follow the Phonozoic nomenclature. Prior to this I've seen dates on this type anywhere from 1951 to 1954. This one is the oldest I've found, clearly dated to April 20th 1949.

Notre Dame


The writing on the label is pretty clear.. for French cursive. It looks like it reads "Le mot de l'accueil Jubile[somthing] de notre dame mere seu Jeanne de Valois."  It seems to be a speech from an event at Notre Dame. Since it's in french I assume that it was recorded at Notre Dame de Paris, not the Catholic university in Indiana.Unless one of my readers is fluent in French I don't expect to get any further with this one.

7 comments:

  1. I've got a couple of these blanks. Unfortunately the surface material is peeling off of the metal.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Vintage blanks of recording quality are increasingly rare. People do still use them but its not very practical.

    ReplyDelete
  3. AWilcox10:00 PM

    The writing on the lable reads "le mot de l'accueil Jubilé d'or de notre chere mere St Jeanne de valor" the last word is kind of sketchy... which translates as "The opening address of the golden Jubilie of our dear Mother St Jeanne de valor." I can only make out some of the recording, but it seems to be a radio address in honor of some sort of significant religious figure, like a prominent nun or something

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi, I just discovered this site... it's an amazing source of old time radio geekery! Question: have you stumbled upon any old radio production audio LPs? Ones that have news bumpers, jingles, etc? I've collected a few of these, but I'm always on the lookout for more... even if it's just a digital audio rip. If you know of any source for such things, any info would be appreciated!

    ReplyDelete
  5. AWilcox! thank you for the translation! I wish I knew the call sign of the station it was carried on but that was probably not in the speech.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Mr. Ingber. I have hundreds of acetates in my personal collection. But "old" is a relative term. I rip a new disc every Tuesday night. Some are genuine transcriptions... some not so much. Here's some from an old fidelipac: http://tenwatts.blogspot.com/2010/05/fidelipac-fun-3.html

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks! Those are some fun spots. One of these days I'm going to go on a weekend long digitizing spree and get some of my random radio vinyl collection online... like you've done.

    ReplyDelete