Tuesday, February 21, 2012

Transcription Mystery Disc #36

This is a 10-Inch Recordisc, it's label matches the Type 2C listed at Phonozoic, but the core is aluminum. It's uncertain, but my opinion is that all or at least more of the color variants of this type of Recordisc label were concurrent.  I think that the aluminum discs predate the fiber-core blanks generally. The dates are generally from 1946 - 1949. I have one that dates to 1942 and I admit that seems spurious and it may be a second generation dub.This one is different from the others in that it does have a date "2-3-48," but no other information besides a wavy line that might be a signature...can't tell. The B side also is dated "2-3-48," but it  it's blank or worn smooth, either way there's no audio to be had.
Side A


There are three voices on the recording, two male one female. It took me a little time but I quickly realized that they were doing a reading of Alice In Wonderland. It is from CHAPTER VII, A Mad Tea Party, you can read along  here. I've clipped and posted the most clear portion above.  I reduced the bed noise as much as I can with a noise filter, but it's clear this disc had a lot of plays which wore down the groove notably. It begins on that page with the words "I do,' Alice hastily replied; `at least--at least I mean what I say--that's the same thing, you know.'" It's worth reading along for a bit. I can't tell if this was a copy of a commercial version or some amateur production... but both seem plausible.

No comments:

Post a Comment