Tuesday, September 20, 2011

Transcription Mystery Disc #110

It has been many moons since I digitized an acetate recording. The last one was on July 5th [here], that's 2.5 months or 77 days to be specific. I moved, and until recently I had no unpacked my TC 750-LC phono pre-amp... the magic device that makes it possible to input such low signal into a PC sound card.  I was inspired to complete my unpacking by an interview request from Discuts, an audio-geek magazine in France. (Apparently I'm big in France.) So I dedicate today's post to my new friends at Discuts. 
Todays' post is unique in that the writing is legible and it still makes no sense.We are fortunate enough to have a date as well. Both sides are clearly marked 1-11-51, January 11th 1951. The sides are marked "VIOLA" and "ROSE Mil"  respectively.
Rose Mil

VIOLA

The recording on the VIOLA side is much clearer, louder and with a better signal to noise ratio. I presume it was recorded second. Generally, an amateur engineer learns something from the first take. Despite that improvement, he did not learn how long the discs are as they both end abruptly with the groove impacting center label. Phonozic refers to this type of Duodisc as "Duodisc Type 2 Red." It does not suggest a data range, but an analogous type "Duodisc Type 2 Purple" dates to 1948. For that reason I am confident that the 1951 date is accurate.

The song marked VIOLA is (at least in part), a popular song titled "I dont' know why I just do." It's been performed by Kate Smith, Sinatra, and Dean Martin among others but the Andrews Sisters version was cut in 1946... much closer to the recording date. I suspect it's a take on that version. On the flip side she screws up and makes two takes, the second in harmony with another woman I presume her mother. In the brief interval you can hear dad urge her to sing more. I cant identify that first take, but the second is "It's a Sin To Tell A Lie" most famously recorded by Billie Holiday.

As for the strange labeling, it occurs to be those might be the names of daughters? It's just a guess.

No comments:

Post a Comment