Tuesday, June 28, 2011

AVP to ORH

 ...another long drive in a long career of long drives.
We begin on route 33 in New Jersey because that is how you cut south back onto Route 78 East after you have accidentally taken the exit for 22 East. It is there I caught a cooking show, an honest-to-goodness cooking show on WHYY 90.9. It was The Splendid Table, hosted by Lynne Rossetto Kasper, and it's one of the last of it's kind.  The program actually won the Best Radio Food Show award in 2008. She really is quite good.. but there can't be a lot of competition left. 
When I hit 287 North, I tuned in Rhythm Revue with Felix Hernandez on 88.3 WBGO, always an excellent program. I haven't heard it much since I left New York. He was spinning Donny Hathaway "Valdez In the Country" when I tuned in, a little late they hit some Sugarman Three. About then I could also get in 89.5 WSOU which was playing "Elephant Riders' by Clutch, and both 89.2 WFDU and 91.1 WFMU were both spinning some really great garage rock: the Fabulous Wailers, Calvin Owens, Frank Zappa, even the Rat Pfink Theme. Rex at WFMU was out but his sub was still good.

 I caught 91.3 WVKR briefly up on  84 East but only one song by Circlesquare "Hey You Guys."  Further North I caught 91.7 WHUS was was in the middle of a jazz set, James Farm, Donald Harrison's kickass Drumline, Dave Alvin etc. Then while heading up 84E approaching the border with Massachusetts, on 90.1 WECS I caught Mark E. Ramone in the middle of some Dead Milkmen. I think he's been there for 20 years, probably been playing that record the whole time. I think it came out in 1988.

Up in Worcester I caught 90.5 WICN playing Ahmad's Blues by Red Garland, great tune. I think he did that one in the mid 50s. When I listen to stations like these I hope that they're still there next time I drive through town. I've seen so many vanish in the last year I cant help but to wonder about it.

No comments:

Post a Comment