Tuesday, September 07, 2010

Transcription Mystery Disc # 80

It was very quickly clear that this was a recording of a wedding.  but it was the packaging that attracted me to it.  it came in the original 5-disc package for the Federal Perma-Disk Blanks It was still unlabeled and the decenter hole was too narrow for my spindle. I had to file it a tad with a very small round file so it could accommodate a standard spindle.That and the general good condition of the disc lead me to believe that it was never played. the crooked label tells me that the packages were probably labeled by hand in the factory. A machine would have almost certainly centered them better.

Phonozoic lists no dates for most Federal Perma Disk recordings. one type, not this one sadly is dated to 1948.  Thankfully I have others of this exact type in my collection, and they were all dated to between 1940 and 1944. So I tend to favor a date earlier than the date Phonozoic gives. But the disc itself is unlabeled, and the contents therein do not reveal a date, it gives the day June 10th but not the year.
 The disk itself played very well, and made for a good quality digitization. it spun at 78 rpm, and started at the outer edge. I edited together sides A and B into one track for your convenience. It opens with a few bars of a choral "Here Comes the Bride". The bride's name is given as Elaine Redlin which I take as a maiden name.  Several brides maids and female relatives also give their names: Mildred Waters, Gertie, Hazel, Elaine, Mickey, Ruth Yancey, Ruth Hatten, Lenore and Elaine's Mother. In the background the girls giggle throughout the recorded greetings. These are a bit stiff like they might be reading from a script. On the B side is another longer choral tune, I assume the brides maids are doing the actual singing.  I bought the disc near Milwaukee, WI and their accents give me every reason to think that it was recorded locally.

No comments:

Post a Comment