Monday, July 12, 2010

AVP to ROC

I had a 350 mile drive to complete and a lot of radio to browse. While leaving Scranton I caught WCLH (home of metal monday) on the way out and 99.5 WUSR who was playing a old standard called "Shake down the Stars." It was probably the Sinatra version. Down on 91.7 WVMW was playing christian pop punk, a genre I didn't know was big enough to make a radio playlist. 590 WARM-AM was deep into some oldies and 800 WPEL-AM was playing some really stiff southern white gospel. (They're also on 96.5 FM) An actual live announcer announced that they were supported wholly by donations which is always a surprise to see local programming on a religious station. More here.

I also caught "the gem" WGMF briefly on 1460 which also simulcasts on 730 WZMF-AM. it's also running oldies. WSQX on 81 North. WSQX has an interesting collaborative arrangement with WSKG, and two repeaters of it's own: W201CD 88.1 FM and W214AA 90.7 FM in Lansing and Corning respectively. There I caught the program "Alternative Radio" hosted by David Barsamian. It was truly excellent radio.

In Binghamton I caught 90.5 WHRW which I've wondered about for years. I actually caught them on the return trip as well. Both times I heard the slogan "In the Middle." which I initially mistook for a program name.  It was fully automated with a mix of completely unrelated music: polka, glam, J-pop, show tunes, klezmer, exotica, The clash was gruesomely unlistenable. 680 WINR was audible playing nostalgia most of the way to Syracuse. In Cortland I caught not only 88.2 3 in Syracuse but also WICB out of Ithaca. On the way up I thought that  WICB was the most professional station I've ever heard with student DJs. But on the way back some schlub was playing Hank Williams tunes and reading the liner notes. They cant all be winners. 

Around Syracuse I had trouble distinguishing 89.1 WJPZ and 89.1 WDWN. In theory WJPZ should have the metro coverage and WDWN should be only to the west around Auburn but what I heard was seamless, throughout. Whoever it was never ran an ID and only played commercial rap.  I have high hopes for 90.5 WXXE expanding into that metro. More here.


the first Rochester station I began to hear was 90.5 WBER. 88.5 WRUR was clear by the time I made to to I-490. WRUR was running their WXXI simulcast which replaced decades of student-run programming. I kind of miss the kids since WBER is less eclectic than it once was. thankfully WITR fills that void nicely. Try as I might I never was able to receive WBSU, or WIRQ. WIRQ has a CP to move to 90.9 hopefully that will break them out of Irondequoit into downtown Rochester. I did catch 90.1 WGMC on the way out of town, they were in the middle of their weekly all-Sinatra program. If you're ever in downtown Rochester I must recommend the Bop Shop for a fine selection of jazz LPs.  I spent hours there crate digging.

4 comments:

  1. Jose!

    You're in my hometown and you didn't let me know? I'd have bought you lunch or something...

    ReplyDelete
  2. A few more notes on the stations along your travels: WSQX is owned by WSKG, and they own the Corning translator too - but the Ithaca translator is owned by a community group called Ithaca Community Radio, which has CPs for two new stations that will eventually become primaries for the Ithaca translator.

    In Syracuse, WJPZ has historically been a pretty commercial-sounding CHR-urban; WDWN is a more traditional college station. WXXE is effectively dead, for reasons that are too complex to go into here.

    Here in Rochester, WIRQ is off the air for the summer. It only operates limited hours after school on weekdays when it's on. WBSU is very directional and doesn't come in well until you're west of downtown Rochester. It's a very commercial-sounding CHR; not at all your cup of tea, I would think.

    And as for WRUR, it was (putting it kindly) moribund before the WXXI deal came into place in 2004. It was off the air more often than it was on, and not even in any kind of predictable way. I suspect it would have been sold off and ended up as a K-Love repeater sooner or later if something hadn't changed. The students still end up with a fair amount of airtime, middays and evenings and weekends.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like I heard WJPZ the whole time and not WDWN at all. Also sounds like WRUR came out ahead with the WXXI deal. I collected a nice Public radio map from the WXXI booth at the Corn Hill fair.

    It's a shame WIRQ is off air so much.. they'll end up sharing time with a christian sat-caster eventually no doubt.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think WIRQ will be operating more regularly once they finish the move back to 90.9. That poor station has been bumped around the dial four times in 50 years - from 90.9 to 93.3, then to 94.3 when a new commercial 93.3 came on, then to 104.7 when a new commercial 94.1 came on, and now back to 90.9 by the launch of K-Love at 104.9.

    ReplyDelete