Friday, April 23, 2010

The Gavin College Panel

I found this deep in my archives. It's a complete list from 1994 of all the GAVIN reporters to their College Radio chart. At the time, it was very similar to the CMJ CORE Chart. (that fax # is no good by the way.) You can see that The document from 1994 was being faxed to me in 1997. Love that old technology.

You can download all 4 pages HERE

Gavin ceased to exist in February of 2002 so I think it's safe to release this now. I recall that in 1998 the website www.arancidamoeba.com released the CMJ panels publicly and caused a bit of a stink. I don't have any of those shit-stirring intentions. The website credited the leaked information to Team Clermont, promotions company in Athens Georgia. I cant speak for Antone's intentions. But I can say that it's very novel information to a college radio station. College stations are by definition local, insular even. Usually their concept of the industry, and their role in it is vague. So to see a list of reporters is like opening Pandora's box except the person opening the box has no idea what they're looking at.

So I chose to wait for this list to go stale. Arancidamoeba vanished in the Spring of 2008 having had essentially no updates for a decade. Leaving panels back in the hands of trade magazines, or the few that are left. Being from 1994 I cant confirm that it was precisely correct in 1997, nor in 2002. These things were somewhat fluid. The list of 64 stations is as follows, it has 100 watt stations, 100,000 watt stations and even a closed cable station. I have preserved old calls and typos as is, the meta data is behind the link. My only mystery is that the print out says there are 68 records... I only count 64.

KALX, KCMU, KCOU, KCPR, KCRW, KCSB, KCSJ, KDVS, KFJC, KFSR, KGLT, KGRG, KJHK, KSJS, KTRU, KTXT, KUCI, KUGS, KUNV, KUSF, KVMR, KVRX, KWBU, KWVA, KXLU, KZSC, KZSU, WBNY, WBRU, WCBN, WCDB, WDCR, WEGL, WFDU, WFMU, WICB, WITR, WMNF, WMSE, WMSY, WMUA, WNYU, WPRK, WQFS, WRAS, WRFL, WRIU, WRSU, WRUV, WSMU, WTSR, WTUL, WUJC, WUMS, WUNH, WUSB, WVTK, WVFS, WVKR, WVUM, WWVU, WXCI, WXYC, and WZBC.

No comments:

Post a Comment