Monday, February 09, 2009

North Carolina Ridge Runners

The Great Depression drove many families from the Appalachians into Pennsylvania, Delaware and Maryland looking for work. Ola Belle Campbell was house-keeping in Nottingham, PA after one such relocation. When her brother Alex returned from WWII they both joined the North Carolina Ridge Runners. Ola Belle picked banjo, he played guitar and fiddle. More here.

The Ridge Runners were not based in North Carolina, but many members were refugees of that area. They were based around Maryland and Delaware. they played dances and carnivals and of course at radio stations. They played on WEHC at Henry College, WHIS in Bluefield WV, WRVA in Richmond,WEEU in Reading, WORK in York, WDEL and WILM in Wilmington, and WLAN in Lancaster.

Ola Belle stayed with the Ridge Runners until 1948 when they disbanded. The following year she married Ralph "Bud" Reed. They went off performing together with Alex. This led to a regular program on WASA in Havre de Grace, MD. Campbell's Corner was a weekly half hour program of country and mountain music. The Louvin Brothers performed, as did Bill Monroe, Stoney Cooper and the Stanley Brothers. In 1960 they moved the program to WCOJ in Coatesville, also performing on WBMO in Baltimore. A few years later they moved again to WWVA, a 50k watt station reaching a dozen states. More here.

The Campbells stayed musically active for decades. Alex retired from performance but started a radio show out of WGCB in Red Lion, PA that at it's peak was syndicated to 200 radio stations. Ola Belle suffered a stroke in 1987 and was was unabel to perform thereafter. She died in 2002. Many of her notes, clipping and recordings are archived at the Library of the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill.

11 comments:

  1. Anonymous1:13 AM

    Back in the 50's my father, Jack Little, was the program director at WASA. On several occasions I was fortunate to be in the station studio when Ola Belle and her band would come and play live bluegrass and "hillbilly" music (as my father called it). I remember they were always dressed in their finest stage clothes even though aside from me, only two or three station employees were there to observe. That was over 50 years ago but I can remember those shiny instruments and flashy costumes like it was yesterday. It was quite a treat for a young boy to see them play.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous11:17 PM

    My parents use to take me along to Sunset Park many weekends throughout each summer. I will never forget the opening act of Ola Belle and Alex. We would also stop at Campbells corner in Oxford when passing through. What memories for this 46 year old.

    I am a great gandson of William Wood and very much related to Arthur.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Most of my readers belong writing books more than I do.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous12:33 AM

    My grandmother's cousin, Arthur "Shorty" Wood actually reformed the North Carolina Ridge Runners which was started by his father. Arthur Wood actually asked Ola Belle to be in the Ridge Runners. I have this record and Arthur Wood is singing "Remember Me" on the A side of the record shown. It should be noted that Ola Belle was not the leader of the NC Ridge Runners. There is no denying her impact on Bluegrass and Old Time Music though. Good provocative post!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I wish I had more of their music. I just have a couple 78s. Someone needs to assemble a compilation.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anonymous3:23 AM

    Would love to know more! My great-grandpappy's farm backed up to Sunset Park. I was raised in Cochranville, and we often passed Campbell's Corner store as Ola Belle and "Ellie" were singing. My friend John Osborne's mother Flossie Wood was supposedly an original member of the NC Ridgerunners. Sadly, my friend John was going to a family reunion in Ashe County, NC in 1996 and was brutally murdered. Every time I hear "High on a Mountain" I just bawl. I miss John and Flossie - and would love to know more of Flossie's involvement with the Ridgerunners. Can you help with some info?

    ReplyDelete
  7. I recommend the book "A banjo pickin' girl: the life and music of Ola Belle Campbell Reed" Sovers everything more or less.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Johnny was my uncle:( Flossie my grandmother..
    She was an original member of the band along with her brother Shorty...
    What info would you like about her????

    ReplyDelete
  9. Johnny was my Uncle:( Flossie my grandmother, who was an original member of the Ridge Runners with her brother Shorty!!!
    what info would you like???

    ReplyDelete
  10. Do you have any images or documents that can help fill in the gaps in their broadcasting carrers?

    ReplyDelete
  11. JC Bell9:58 PM

    This comment is for Bonnie Shaw a few comments back. My grandmother is Shorty's first cousin, Ruby Wood- Peters. Her dad is Walter Wood, William's cousin. My name is JC and I play bluegrass music as well. Other than what my grandparents have told me, I'd like to know more about Arthur Wood. Can you e-mail me at Joebell99@gmail.com? I have LOTS of questions! In particular, where did Shorty's guitar end up? Is it still in the family? :)

    ReplyDelete