Monday, December 12, 2005

Driving from RDU to ATL

I've driven over 1000 miles down the east coast this week and seen many cities from the rooftops where I end up working. No fruit is in season now, and that leaves me investigating greasy spoons instead. (Magic mushroom pizza in Atlanta, and the pork Carnitas at Azteca in Charlotte, NC.) My girlfriend has good-restaurant homing powers, and if she did not travel with me, I would probably be less adventurous.


Many radio discoveries so far. I found that 89.5 WHRV has lost Rollie Bristol from its ranks since I last heard them. Rollie had a friendly and deep old-school radio voice. He had comparisons to Paul Harvey but he had none of the schmaltz. Rollie won Best DJ in the local papers of Norfolk several times. He had been the voice of NPR's All Things Considered, and host of Rollie Radio. When WHRV and WHRO split in 1990, Rollie Went with WHRV to lead it as a pioneer of eclectic music for all of Norfolk. In his hands it became a respectable Triple A behemoth respected by all. His career stretched over 30 years including a stint as a jazz program on WGH-AM 1310 for years.

I heard Bob Rogers Blues Show Friday Night on WSHA which is truly a gem in their crown. "The Blues is the Blues." I wish I knew more about the show. But there website has no info.
In Gastonia I caught 660 WLFJ-AM around noon in Greenville, SC. There was a bonafide cooking show on that radio. They're supposed to be a christian talker, but there wasn't any of that while I was in town. There are cooking podcasts out there but I thought the cooking radio show was extinct. Nice to catch this on exhibit. Cooking Podcast here:
I Atlanta I found that the old war of indie music ideology has raged on. I am speaking of WRAS Vs. WREK. Ultimately the difference is that 91.1 WREK (like WFMU) is trying so hard to be eclectic that they are trying to make you change the channel. I deeply respect the idea that some outlet needs to do this. I just never like this when I hear it. 88.5 WRAS on the other hand is trying to treat college rock like a radio format. As much as any station does (Ex. KCMP) they do. Stations like WRAS sell records and break new bands. Purists try to argue to me that this isn't what college radio is for. Bah! Hell yes it is. Mister DJ play the records you love, try to sell those records, and break those bands.

No comments:

Post a Comment